COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

What if I have contracted or have been exposed personally (not job related) to COVID-19?   

  • We recommend that you seek appropriate medical attention immediately.
  • Immediately notify Human Resources at 561.227-6322 or  You may not return to work until instructed to do so.  The Town will follow CDC guidelines to conduct a risk assessment so that appropriate support and accommodations can be provided.  Your disclosure of such information will be confidential.  

> What if I call out sick or come to work with current symptoms of the COVID-19 virus?

What precautions should I take before and during personal travel of any kind?

Employees seeking to travel for personal reasons should check the CDC’s Travelers Health Notices and State of Florida Executive Orders prior to departure. Supervisors can ask employees regarding their potential travel to and/or through:

  • any destination identified a Level 3 CDC Travel Health Notice requiring self-isolation following travel; and/or
  • any destination, or come in contact with anyone who has recently traveled to and/or through the areas, identified by Executive Order of the Governor of the State of Florida as requiring self-isolation.

Leave requests require supervisory approval and may be declined if such leave impairs operations.  If leave to/through one of the above areas is approved and self-isolation is required, employees shall notify Human Resources to review return to work procedures.

The Town will rely on guidance from the CDC and State of Florida Health Department on the proper steps to be taken to prevent the potential spread of germs. The Town will rely on the most current information available at the time of travel.

> What general precautions should I be taking?

Follow all Workplace Standards for COVID-19 outlined here which states:
While at work within a Town facility or providing Town related services, Town employees are expected to comply with the following workplace standards: 

  • Refrain from in‐person meetings whenever possible, including meal breaks;
  • Follow all CDC hand sanitation guidelines;
  • Maintain a distance of six feet when coming into contact with others while at work (inclusive of break areas);
  • Wear a face mask/covering (either provided by the Town or your own appropriate for the workplace) whenever in the presence of others  (unless a reasonable accommodation has been approved by Human Resources).

The CDC recommends several actions for preventing the spread of COVID-19 here.  Refer to any and all state, local, and federal executive orders and guidance.  

> Will I be notified if a coworker has contracted COVID-19 or is in self-isolation?

Due to privacy concerns, this information will not be shared.  However, the Town will take steps per CDC guidance to conduct a risk analysis and may require employees to self-isolate. Employees who may have been exposed due to close contact, as defined by the CDC, to an infected employee will receive the Notice of COVID-19 Exposure for Employees from Human Resources.  

 > What if I am exposed to COVID-19 on the job? 

What if I don’t feel comfortable coming to work because I live with an immune compromised person who is at high risk if they get COVID – 19? May I work from home?

  • Currently, if an employee does not feel comfortable to come to work but does not have current medically documented need for the illness or injury for oneself or the care of an immediate family member per existing policies, vacation or other non-sick leave would be used for an absence from work.
  • Additional guidance may be available within the Town’s Workplace Covid Guide.

> How do I know if I must report to work?  How will I be informed of new information on the Town’s management of COVID – 19 related issues as they relate to employees?

  • Employees should monitor this Town Emergency Management Employee Information website and contact their supervisor.
  • Employees can also dial one of the following hotline numbers for information:
    • Public Safety Employees – (561) 838-5454
    • Public Works Employees – (561) 838-5440
    • All Other Employees – (561) 273-4160

> I don’t have a work laptop issued to me; may I use a personal computer to work remotely? 

No.  Due to the potential for Security threats, the Town does not allow use of a personal computer to access internal Town systems.  

> What if I need technical assistance with my Town issued laptop while at home?  

Call the Town’s Emergency Help Line at 561-227-6315.  Leave a detailed voicemail of your issue and an IT staff member will respond.  This mailbox is monitored 24 X 7.

What if I am scheduled to attend a conference or host/attend an internal meeting or a local meeting?

All non-essential work related travel has been cancelled.  All meetings should be conducted virtually whenever possible. Contact your supervisor for direction.