Training is one of the single most important functions of the Fire Rescue Department. Over the years, the fire service has become more mentally challenging and the demand for knowledge by firefighters has steadily increased. The Training Division consists of one (1) Division Chief supplemented by six (6) Field Training Officers assigned as firefighters on shift. The Training Division is responsible for administering and documenting all training activities and safety training, including:
- Research recommendations and provide training in new concepts.
- Plan and coordinate training with other Town Departments and outside organizations.
- Plan, provide and supervise department recruit process.
- Coordinate training activities with city, county, and state agencies and ensure compliance with relevant standards and legal requirements.
- Develop, recommend, and implement safe practices in relation to operations of the department.
- Conduct, in conjunction with Human Resources, promotional examinations for sworn personnel positions.
- Develop and deliver pertinent classroom and hands-on training for Officers, Career Development, Fire, EMS, Hazardous Materials, Technical Rescue and all aspects for fire rescue operations.
- See opportunities for training that continually keep the Department on the cutting edge of the fire rescue field
Staff continues to research new equipment, methods, technology, and subjects to improve departmental functions and ensure the safety of all personnel. This Division exists to provide fire and EMS training to all personnel to ensure state-of-the-art, competent, and safe operations to best serve the citizens of Palm Beach.